Friday, April 2, 2010

Chester Enjoying the Sunshine



Chester, our African Spurred Tortoise, lives much of the time in his cage in the house. As soon as the temperature gets above 65 degrees he can graze outside. He has grown from hold-in-my-palm size five years ago to where he is almost too big for the dishpan I use to carry him in.

He spends the day grazing in the grass around my garden where he is safely fenced. At the end of the day he burrows under a railroad tie at a raised bed. Since it is too cool at night for him to be out right now, I lug him back in the house shortly after dinner. There have been a few nights where I've almost forgotten him and have ended up hunting for him in the dark with a flashlight. Luckily, he has only a few favorite end of day hiding places.

No comments:

Post a Comment