Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Seriously?

I had already gathered about three dozen eggs when I noticed one of the cows had baling twine wrapped around her horns.  I safely tucked my egg bucket in a nest box and went to free the cow.  When I returned I discovered a little hen who was too impatient to lay her own 30+ eggs, preferring to hijack my bucket load.  I don't know how she managed to squeeze herself in but it took me a moment to remove her without overturning the bucket and ruining the eggs.

Baling twine can be a wonderful thing, especially when every last bit of it gets picked up when cutting it off a bale.  That doesn't always happen.  Just a few days ago I noticed one of the roosters who is fairly outgoing sitting quietly by himself.  He watched me as I approached and then stood up with a look on his face that said he was resigned to the fact that he needed some help.  He had had his own little encounter with a stray bit of baling twine.  I have no idea how he managed to entangle himself so thoroughly but he calmly let me lift him and cut off the twine.  I keep a pair of German surgical scissors on a nail in the barn for just such an occasion.  I did, however, have to get a quick picture with my cell phone..... Some days!

No comments:

Post a Comment