Friday, March 20, 2009

New Lambs - not for the queasy....


Naomi twinned this afternoon & just happened to do it in the middle of the pasture when the light was right for lots of pictures. I'll only show you a few but the last couple are of the birth of the second twin. Don't scroll down if you aren't up for this....

Naomi had been acting oddly all day & had even dug herself a little dip in the dirt in a barn part way down the pasture. When I went out about 4 o'clock to gather eggs again, I noticed she was all the way up at the top of the pasture & way on her side. She was wallowing a little & stretching. I walked over to discover that she was definitely in labor. I called Katy & Nazar out. Within a few minutes of my initial observation, we had two little front hooves. A nose followed shortly afterwards but the chickens had realized what was up & were beginning to bother Naomi. I fed the chickens to distract some of them. We stuck around & swatted at the few persistent hens who wanted to peck at the emerging little fellow. Naomi circled around, laid down again, did a bit more pushing & out popped the first lamb. She immediately went to work cleaning him up but paused long enough to lay back down & deliver his sister. I spent a good hour outside protecting them from chickens while the lambs were cleaned up & had their first chance to nurse. Once everyone was settled down, we moved them into a stall where they are safe from the birds.








No comments:

Post a Comment